Facebook occasionally put on events to offer insights into their latest updates and developments, with a few interesting glimpses at what they are planning next. Although partly motivated by their desire to increase their revenue, nonetheless I spent a fascinating morning learning more about the latest News Feed changes and advertising options:
- Competition is growing for News Feed placement – at any one time there could be 200 updates in there from friends, family, groups and organisations
- Therefore organic reach for business is dropping rapidly and eventually is likely to be zero – Facebook are unapologetic about this, your content has to be brilliant to bump updates from friends and family or you have to pay
- If it’s not mobile friendly, don’t bother. 20 million out of the 25 million UK FB users on today view on a mobile, this number is getting bigger all the time
- The future of the news feed is ‘sight, sound, and motion’, video is becoming increasingly important
- Facebook offers the most sophisticated targeting platform for advertising, with a range of tailored options and the ability to select an audience by demographics, interests, behaviours, and even by device used to view.
- Facebook advertising works on an auction system so the cost of reaching a particular audience varies, young males are more expensive during big sporting events
- In general new mums are the most expensive people to advertise to because there is a lot of competition to reach them
- New features are being added all the time, the latest, Local Awareness advertising, allows you to reach customers within as little as a one mile radius of your business
- Messaging for pages is becoming more important as a customer service channel
- Instagram advertising is coming in September
If you’d like to know more about how Facebook advertising could help your business please get in touch.